A meta description summarizes a webpage’s content that appears in search engine results pages (SERPs). It’s an important element of on-page SEO because it helps give context to the page and can influence whether someone clicks through to your site.
Here are some tips on how to write a great meta description:
- Keep it short and sweet. Your meta description should be no more than 160 characters long, as that’s typically the maximum number of characters displayed in SERPs.
- Include your primary keyword. Your primary keyword should be included in your meta description, as it helps give context to the page and can improve your search engine ranking.
- Make it compelling. Your meta description should be written in a way that entices readers to click through to your site. Use actionable verbs and highlight the benefits of your content.
- Avoid duplication. Your meta description should be unique and not duplicate the content of your title tag or any other page on your site. This can lead to a penalty from search engines.
- Use modifiers. Modifiers like “best,” “top,” and “ultimate” can help make your meta description more compelling and increase the chances of someone clicking through to your site.
By following these tips, you can write a meta description that will help improve your search engine ranking and entice readers to click through to your site. Remember to keep it short, include your primary keyword, make it compelling, avoid duplication, and use modifiers.